The Seventh Doctor arrives on the scene, forced to regenerate during a crash landing on the planet Lakertya, where he and Mel discover the Rani, intent on a fiendish plan to recreate the universe...
• Four episodes with mono audio.
• Commentary with actors Sylvester
McCoy and Bonnie Langford, writers Pip and Jane Baker.
• The Last Chance Saloon (dur. 28’ 37”) – by 1987, senior executives at the BBC were on the point of killing-off Doctor Who in the face of stiff fan opposition. Instead, they decided to give the show one last chance… With actors Sylvester McCoy and Kate O’Mara, producer John Nathan-Turner, director Andrew Morgan, script editor Andrew Cartmel, writers Pip and Jane Baker, BBC Head of Series & Serials Jonathan Powell and graphic designer Oliver Elmes. Written by Nev Fountain and narrated by Richard Heffer.
• 7D FX (dur. 12’ 20”) – a look behind-the-scenes at the creation of the story’s impressive visual effects. With visual effects designer Colin Mapson, visual effects assistant Mike Tucker and video effects designer Dave Chapman.
• Helter-Skelter (dur. 9’ 15”) – Graphic designer Oliver Elmes and animator Gareth Edwards talk about how they created the first CGI title sequence in Doctor Who’s history.
• Lakertya (dur. 2’ 02”) – writers Pip and Jane Baker talk about their original vision for the lush forest planet Lakertya and director Andrew Morgan explains why he ended up shooting it in a desolate quarry instead…
• Hot Gossip (dur. 2’ 21” ) – Kate O’Mara recalls the fun of working with gossiping friends. With Sylvester McCoy and Andrew Morgan.
• On Location (dur. 4’04”) – BBC Breakfast Time’s reporter Guy Michelmore visits the production during location filming for the story’s exterior scenes and talks to John Nathan-Turner, Sylvester McCoy, Bonnie Langford and Kate O’Mara.
• Blue Peter (dur. 1’ 20”) – Janet Ellis welcomes newly appointed Doctor Who Sylvester McCoy to the Blue Peter studio.
• Easter Egg – Regeneration (dur. 0’ 33”) – a modern CGI twist to the original regeneration effect.
• Easter Egg - Eye-Sore (dur. 1’ 38”) – Kate O’Mara, Andrew Morgan and Pip Baker recall an on-set medical emergency!
• Easter Egg - The Name’sh McCoy… (dur. 1’ 12”) – Sylvester McCoy – the man who should have been the next James Bond?
• Plus of course the usual PDF materials, Coming Soon trailer, Programme Subtitles, Subtitle Production Notes and Photo Galleries.
Copyright Steve Roberts, 10 August 2011. No reproduction allowed without written permission.