The Fourth Doctor and Romana battle space raiders and a giant cactus - Meglos, the last of the Zolfa-Thurans - on the desert planet of Tigella.
• Four episodes with mono audio.
• Commentary with actors Lalla Ward
and Christopher Owen, co-writer John Flanagan, composers Paddy Kingsland and
• Meglos Men (dur. 18’ 10”) – long-time writing partners John Flanagan and Andrew McCulloch revisit some of their old London haunts and meet with Doctor Who script editor Christopher H. Bidmead at his home to discuss ‘Meglos’, their only story for the series.
• The Scene Sync Story (dur. 12’ 03”) – ‘Meglos’ used a pioneering process called Scene Sync in the creation of many of its shots, in which a robotic camera moving over a model set followed the movements of a studio camera photographing the actors in a bluescreen set, allowing the two to be composited together into a single image. This documentary looks at the technology behind this precursor to today’s virtual-studio productions. With visual effects designer Stephen Drewett and studio cameramen Peter Leverick and Roger Bunce.
• Jacqueline Hill – A Life in Pictures (dur. 13’ 46”) – actress Jacqueline Hill was one of the original companions to accompany the Doctor in his early adventures, returning to the show many years later to play Lexa in ‘Meglos’. This documentary looks at the life of an actress whose life was taken tragically early by illness. With husband Alvin Rakoff, Doctor Who’s first producer Verity Lambert and friends and fellow actors William Russell and Ann Davies.
• Entropy Explained (dur. 4’ 53”) – Dr. Phillip Trowga of the University of Westminster looks at the principle of entropy, key to the plot of ‘Meglos’.
• Isolated Score – option to view the story with isolated music soundtrack.
• Easter Egg (dur. 1’ 56”) – clean title and credit backgrounds for season 18.
• Plus of course the usual PDF materials, Coming Soon trailer, Programme Subtitles, Subtitle Production Notes and Photo Galleries.
Copyright Steve Roberts, 10 August 2011. No reproduction allowed without written permission.