The hugely popular Jon Pertwee alternate Earth story gets the SE treatment with a brand-new remaster of the episodes and an expanded extras package.
Essentially, this is an update to the original in the same manner as the recent release of 'The Claws of Axos - SE', combining the luminance from the 16mm monochrome film recording with the colour from the Reverse Standards Converted 2" NTSC videotapes.
• 7x 25 mins approx colour episodes with mono audio.
• Commentary with actors Nicholas Courtney and John Levene, producer Barry Letts and script editor Terrance Dicks.
• Can You Hear the Earth Scream? (dur. 34' 45" ) Actors and production team recall working on the story in this specially-shot featurette.
• Hadoke versus HAVOC (dur. 27’ 33”) – Presenter Toby Hadoke reunites surviving members of the HAVOC stunt team and trains with them to perform a stunt himself. Will he survive to become an honorary member of HAVOC? With stunt arranger Derek Ware and stunt men Roy Scammell, Derek Martin and Stuart Fell.
• Doctor Forever – Lost in the Dark Dimension (dur. 27’ 26”) - the penultimate instalment of our new five part series looking at how Doctor Who was kept alive in the years between the end of the classic series and the beginning of the new. In this episode we look at the various attempts to bring the show back during that period. With current and former Doctor Who Magazine editors Tom Spilsbury, John Freeman and Gary Russell, former BBC range editor Steve Cole, actor David Burton, writer Adrian Rigelsford, director Graeme Harper and new series executive producer Russell T Davies. Narrated by Zeb Soanes.
• The UNIT Family - Part One (dur. 35' 35" ) - a featurette looking at the Earthbound Doctor's 'family' during his exile to Earth and his new role as the scientific advisor to the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce.
• Visual Effects Promo Film (dur. 6' 00" ) - an excerpt from an early attempt to 'sell' the experience and facilities of the BBC Visual Effects Department to new clients. This short film features model effects filming from the Doctor Who stories 'The Ambassadors of Death' and 'Inferno', a watertank sketch from 'Marty Amok' featuring Marty Feldman, model shots from 'The Caves of Steel' and the filming of the forced-perspective model pier for the explosive finale of the missing 'Doomwatch' episode, 'Survival Code'.
• Deleted Scene (dur. 1' 56") - a short deleted scene which was never seen in the original BBC transmission of the story, featuring a rather too obvious Jon Pertwee as the voice of a radio presenter.
• Pertwee Years Intro (dur. 2' 43" ) - a short introduction to the story's final episode from Jon Pertwee, originally presented as part of BBC Video's 'The Pertwee Years' VHS release.
• Plus of course the usual PDF materials (including the 1971 Doctor Who Annual), Coming Soon trailer, Programme Subtitles, Subtitle Production Notes and Photo Gallery.
Copyright Steve Roberts, 27 June 2013. No reproduction allowed without written permission.