The Third Doctor's first meeting with the Daleks comes to DVD in a lavish two-disc package containing not only the original story and extras, but also a brand-new version featuring new visual effects, sound effects and Dalek voices...
• 4 x 25 mins approx colour episodes with
mono audio (Original Version)
• Commentary with actors Anna Barry and Jim Winston, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks and vision mixer Mike Catherwood.
• Blasting the Past (dur. 30’ 30” ) – cast and crew look back on the making of this story. With actors Katy Manning, Jimmy Winston and, Anna Barry, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, monster maker John Friedlander, Dalek operator Ricky Newby, Dalek voice artiste Nicholas Briggs, classic series writer Ben Aaronovitch, new series writer Paul Cornell and Doctor Who Magazine writer Dave Owen.
• A View from the Gallery (dur. 20’ 00”) – producer Barry Letts and vision mixer Mike Catherwood talk about the art of vision mixing on a multi-camera studio show like Doctor Who.
• Nationwide (dur. 3’ 23”) – a report from a primary school on the day they took delivery of a Dalek, first prize in a Radio Times competition.
• Blue Peter (dur. 5’ 46”) – presenter Peter Purves remembers his time as a companion to William Hartnell’s Doctor and is joined in the studio by a trio of Daleks.
• 4 x 25 mins approx colour episodes with mono audio (Special Edition)
• The Making of Day of the Daleks – Special Edition (dur. 13’ 34”) – producer Steve Broster guides us through the creation of his Special Edition of this story. With voice artiste Nicholas Briggs, audio engineer Mark Ayres, cameraman John Kelly, Dalek builder Toby Chamberlain, UNIT soldier Kevan Looseley and Ogron Nick Nicholson.
• Now and Then (dur. 5’ 22”) – the latest instalment of our long-running series revisits the locations used in Day of the Daleks to see how much or little they have changed over the years. Narrated by Toby Hadoke.
• The UNIT Family – Part Two (dur. 31’ 21”) – the second instalment of our series looking at the Doctor’s years on Earth as scientific advisor to the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce and the strong family bonds created during that time. With Katy Manning, Barry Letts, Terrance Dicks, actors Nicholas Courtney, John Levene, Richard Franklin and Fernanda Marlowe, stuntman Derek Ware.
• The UNIT Dating Conundrum (dur. 9’ 03”) – over the years, many fans have tried to rationalise the chronological setting of the UNIT stories from clues within the narrative, despite the obstacles seemingly put in their way by the production team. Narrator Toby Hadoke explains why dating the stories is so difficult, assisted byTerrance Dicks, Dave Owen, Nicholas Briggs and Ben Aaronovitch.
• The Cheating Memory (dur. 8’ 26”) – Special Edition producer Steve Broster tries to discover why the reality of Day of the Daleks doesn’t quite live up to the memory he has of first seeing it, aged six. With psychologist Dr. Sarita Robinson, Nicholas Briggs and Ben Aaronovitch.
• Teaser (dur. 0’ 17”) – a short teaser trailer that was released to the internet at the start of production on the Special Edition.
• Plus of course the usual PDF materials,
Coming Soon trailer, Programme Subtitles, Subtitle Production
Notes and Photo Galleries.
Copyright Steve Roberts, 10 August 2011. No reproduction allowed without written permission.